We are inspired by Brad Feld’s newest book, Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur, written with his wife Amy Batchelor. Brad and Amy are running a great contest Startup Life – Operation Win A Dinner With Us. All you have to do to enter is buy the book, which you should in any case and email Brad the receipt. Of course Rob Rubenstein my husband and co-founder at Horizon Studios entered the contest and seriously hope to be able to take Brad up on his dinner “offer”.
There are many great companies we discovered that have a husband and wife at the helm, Cisco, Buddy Media, Eventbrite, Slideshare and Wildfire, to name a few. Husband-and-wife teams own and operate nearly 4 million American companies, according to the U.S. Census 2007 Survey of Business Owners?
A recent article by All Things D highlights big-exit married co-founders in “Is It Time to Rethink the Stigma for Tech Companies Led by Couples?”. Woman 2.0 wrote a great post on powerhouse couples that have started great companies, with a focus on female CEOs, “11 female founders of tech startups who are married to their co-founder:”
Though Brad and Amy’s book focuses on thriving in a relationship entrepreneur in a broad comprehensive sense, we thought it would be interesting to see how many co-founders we could find that were married, please feel free to add to this list.
- Wildfire founded by Victoria Ransom (CEO) and Alain Chuard (head of product management) acquired by Goolge
- Alt 12 Apps launched with BabyBump by co-founders Casey Sackett and Jennifer
- Houzz CEO Adi Tatarko is married to co-founder Alon Cohen.
- VMware founding CEO Diane Greene is married to VMware co-founder Mendel Rosenblum.
- Miso Media Creative Director Joselle Ho is married to her co-founder Aviv Grill.
- Eventbrite President Julia Hartz is married to her co-founder and Eventbrite CEO Kevin Hartz.
- Buddy Media, founded by husband and wife team Michael Lazerow and Kass Lazerow, was acquired by Salesforce for $689M in June 2012.
- Duck, Duck Moose cofounders Caroline Hu Flexer, Michael Flexer
- Sugar Inc co-founder Lisa Sugar is married to her co-founder Brian Sugar.
- Lynda Weinman started the company Lynda with her husband Bruce Heavin Chief Creative Officer.
- Khush CEO Prerna Gupta is married to her co-founder and CTO Parag Chordia..
- FlixMaster co-founders, Cameron McCaddon and Erika Trautman
- SlideShare CEO Rashmi Sinha is married to co-founder and CTO Jon Boutelle.
- Cisco co-founder Sandy Lerner was married to her co-founder Leonard Bosack.
- Jenn Deering Davis and Hayes Davis, Union Metrics
- Lisa Connell and Frank Sinton, MeFeedia
- Moira Haynes and Marco Krapels, Empowered By Light, a nonprofit dedicated to bringing solar lights to third-world countries like Zambia.
- ModCloth Chief Creative Officer Susan Gregg Koger is married to co-founder Eric Koger.
- Richard Davis and Theresa Szczurek, cofounders Radish Systems, they founded 2 companies together
- Bebo co-founder Xochi Birch is married to her co-founder Michael Birch
- Moonfruit CEO Wendy Tan White started the company with her husband and co-founder Joe White.
Please add to the list